Hutt City Council


Hutt City Council wants to encourage and support responsible dog ownership, so we offer a reduced dog registration fee for people who can show they are responsible dog owners.

To apply to become a Responsible Dog Owner, you will need to complete this form, and pay the one off application fee of $65.00.

When you click on 'Pay and submit application', you can choose whether you would like to pay by credit card or POLi (which will take you to your own bank's internet banking site). You will be automatically taken to the secure payment site for your chosen payment method.

For the discount to take effect in your next invoice, you must submit this form and pay by 30 April of that year. Applications and payment received after 30 April will be processed from August onwards, and any discount earned will be applied to the following year's registration period.

If you don't proceed to payment, or your payment is unsuccessful, your application will not be sent to us.

Animal Services will then check your application, inspect your property to ensure that your fences and gate meet the criteria, and let you know whether your application has been successful.

Please enter details and submit to apply

* These fields are compulsory. Please fill in.

First name *
Last name *
Physical address *
Contact tel number *
Dog name *
Dog ID or Tag number *
Microchip number
Comment (if you have more than one dog, please add names of other dogs here)

Application for responsible dog owner status - page 2

I * consider that I meet the following criteria:
  1. My dog/s has/have been registered with Hutt City Council for a period of at least 12 months.
    Note: If you have had RDO in another territory previously, you will need to provide proof. Please print out this form, complete, and apply in person.
  2. I have complied with, and will continue to comply at all times with, the Dog Control Act 1996, and Hutt City Council Control of Dog Bylaws.
  3. Registration fees for my dog/s has/have been paid by 31 July each year.
  4. My dog/s has/have been Microchipped and I have provided this information to Animal Services (either previously or on this form).
  5. The area of the property that my dog/s has/have access to is fully fenced and gated.
  6. Persons entering the property have free access without encountering the dog/s.
  7. If I am renting the above address, I could provide a letter from the landlord to prove that I have permission to keep a dog/s at the property, if requested.
  8. My dog/s is/are currently vaccinated and has/have regular vet checks.
  9. My dog/s has/have access to suitable shelter at all times.
  10. My dog/s is/are given sufficient food and water.
If asked, I can demonstrate one or both of the following:
  • My dog/s has/have been on an Obedience Course and I could provide evidence that my dog/s and I have passed a Grade 2 Dog Obedience Course OR
  • My dog/s can be controlled on and off the leash, and in different situations, and this could be demonstrated to an Animal Control Officer.

I understand that if I move address, I must re-apply for my RDO status.

I have not:
  • received a conviction under the Dog Control Act 1996 (including 2003 amendment).
  • received an infringement notice for the behaviour of an animal in my care within the past year.
  • had a dog impounded in the last year.
  • had a substantial public complaint about the behaviour of an animal in my care over the past year.

In submitting this application, I declare that I meet and will continue to meet the criteria listed on this form.

I understand that Council will take the submission of a false declaration, or evidence that I am not complying with the Dog Control Act 1996, the Animal Welfare Act 2012, or the Hutt City Council Control of Dog Bylaws, very seriously and that it may result in:

  1. Prosecution or other court action.
  2. An infringement fee being issued.
  3. Cancellation of and inability to reapply for my RDO status for a minimum of two years.
In submitting this application, I declare that I meet and will continue to meet the criteria listed on this form.

Hutt City Council does not refund an RDO application in the event of it being unsuccessful. However, refunds may be granted on an individual basis after discussion with Hutt City Council Animal Services, for example if overpayment has occurred.

Once you have successfully paid for your RDO application, the application will proceed and you can only cancel it by discussion with a Hutt City Council Animal Services Officer.

Animal Services | 21 Meachen Street, Seaview, Lower Hutt 5010 | Hutt City Council | Private Bag 31912 | Lower Hutt 5040 | 04 5706666
Animal Services | 21 Meachen Street, Seaview, Lower Hutt 5010
Hutt City Council | Private Bag 31912 | Lower Hutt 5040 | 04 5706666

Hutt City is the operating name of The Hutt City Council